Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Natural Cures for Depression

I am not a medical professional and I am not trying to give medical advice. Please see a health professional before adjusting any medications.

Now that being said, some of the following things have helped me, or have helped others with depression.

1. St.John's Wort is an herb that is known for being one of the best natural antidepressants of all time. It works best on mild depression when taken with a regular diet.

2. Exercise is the body's natural antidepressant. When you exercise your body produces hormones that help lift your mood. Personally, I think cardio is a lot better for lifting my mood than anything slow like yoga, but you go Glen Coco and figure out what works for you.

3. Limiting caffeine can improve mood, according to some studies. Unfortunately, caffeine is not just in soda but in brownies, chocolates, and all kinds of goodies. Reducing these things has helped me, but I know chocolate is comfort for some women lol.

4. Essential Oils of citrus scents has shown to improve mood.

5. Light and Color, especially sunlight and bright colors, psychologically lifts mood. Try to spend time outdoors, or paint a room a happy yellow color. Gray or blues can bring out depressed moods. When possible, don't live in dark apartments of basements.

6. Vitamin C Intake is another indicator of mood. Stay up on your vitamin C intake, as well as B12 and folic acid.

7. Saffron is shown to significantly improve mood as well. Studies show 30mg of saffron is the equivalent of 20mg of Prozac, without the side effects of Prozac. This is not something I have tried myself, but I have heard wonderful things.

8. Vitex is a hormone regulator that can not only improve mood, but adjust cycles and acne as well. This herbal drug has worked well for me.

Sources: Encyclopedia of Natural Remedies, Readers Digest 2011, Natural Remedies for Healthy Living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment